The East Union Community School District was established by a vote of the people on April 27, 1959, to become effective July 1, 1959.
The District includes all of New Hope, Dodge, Union, Jones, and Sand Creek Townships and portions of Grant, Highland, and Pleasant Townships in Union County. Also included are parts of Jefferson and Tingley Townships of Ringgold; Madison Township of Clarke County; and Monroe and Walnut Townships of Madison County.
The area of the East Union School District in the counties of Union, Ringgold, Clarke and Madison totals 268.9 square miles. Within this area lie the incorporated towns of Afton, Arispe, Lorimor, Thayer and Shannon City, as well as the former villages of Barney and Talmage.
East Union Community School District is located in south central Iowa, Union County, in the community of Afton, Iowa.
The community of Afton is located at the intersection of US Highway 34 and US Highway 169.
All attendance centers are located on the same campus and can be found at the this address : 1916 High School Drive, Afton, Iowa 50830